Marriage isn't always easy and when the romance is hard to find, it becomes difficult to remember why you got married in the first place. Married couples often find themselves in the predicament of loving each other but not always being "in love" with each other.
Save some energy for your marriage There are days when I come home, get the family fed, done, baths and reading, laundry, dishes and the list goes on. I literally fall into bed, the energy for romance is gone.
There are small things we can do to help revive that feeling. It is important that we know marriages survive sometimes by one person pulling more weight and then passing the load on to the other to pull for awhile. We all want the fairytale romance, and as lovely as that sounds it isn't realistic, but that doesn't mean you can't recapture those romantic feelings that you had for your partner when you first met.
- Say I love you! Regardless of if you feel it at the moment, say it like you mean it and your partner will notice. Just those three little words remind both you and your partner why you decided to take on life together.
- Date each other. You may not have time to even think about dating, right? Make time! Nurturing your marriage is just as important as every other task you take on during the day. Make a date for dinner and a movie and vow to not talk about kids or money. Just be with each other.
- Let go of the 'fairy tale' and make your own rules.The reason they call love stories "fairy tales" is because that is what they are.....FAIRYTALES. The are not real, but you can make your own fairytale. Live it with your partner and remind yourself of all of the reasons that you love them. Write down those reasons and give it to them.
- Hold hands. Just this simple gesture reminds your partner that you love them and are still there for them. When you are together somewhere, out to lunch, at the grocery store...when you aren't chasing children, grab your spouses hand and give it a squeeze to let them know you are there.
-Turn off your electronic devices when you are having alone time. There is nothing that will kill romance more than your phone ringing. The computer and the cell phones can wait. You have a date for some alone time with your spouse. Make him/her a priority.
-Cuddle. You are never too old and you have never been married too long to cuddle with each other. On the couch, in the bedroom, or in the truck, it doesn't matter, get close to your partner and share some love.
- Imagine your world without your partner. Take a few minutes and imagine what life would be like if your partner was gone. My mother lost her husband when she was 33,and she was left to raise 4 kids on her own. Many people go through the loss a spouse and it is horrible. Remember how lucky you are to still have your partner and show them you appreciate that.
- Dance with each other. Yeah it may seem silly at the moment, but once the music starts playing and your arms are wrapped around each other there is nothing in the world that matters more.
Put a little love into it These are just simple steps to remind your partner that you still love them and to start rebuilding the romance. Remember, marriage doesn't come easy during life's busy times and you have you make your partner a priority in your life. Let them know you care and that you want to work on the romance together.
Living the Good Life